Cosmetic dentistry refers to any type of dental work done to enhance your bite, teeth, or overall appearance of your smile. In addition to improving appearance, cosmetic dentistry offers many benefits to overall health and wellness. Cosmetic dentistry assists with teeth that are:
- Stained or discoloured
- Chipped or cracked
- Separated by gaps
- Of varying sizes
Cosmetic Dentistry Options
- Enamel Shaping and Contouring – This process involves removing and contouring the enamel on teeth to improve the overall look of your smile. It is often used to correct minor bite problems and chipped teeth.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants replace missing teeth and offer a more permanent alternative to removable dentures. Implants are often made of titanium and are surgically implanted into the bone socket of the missing tooth.
- Bridges – Bridges are artificial teeth that replace missing ones. They are made of alloys, porcelain, gold, or a combination of different metals. A fixed bridge can only be removed by a dentist.
- Bonding – Bonding is performed by applying an etching solution directly to the surface of the tooth. Then a composite resin (coloured to resemble the natural colour of your teeth) is added. Bonding is used to fix chipped, cracked, stained, or broken teeth. It also can fill in the gaps between teeth.
- Teeth Whitening – Over time, the whiteness of your teeth may fade. This can be caused by smoking, the kind of food you eat, drinking carbonated beverages, coffee or tea, and taking certain kinds of medication. If you want to have your teeth whitened, your dentist might prescribe an at-home solution, or you can opt for an in-clinic whitening procedure. Both procedures help remove stains, making teeth appear brighter and healthier.
- Easier Teeth Cleaning – Misaligned and overlapping teeth may make brushing and flossing difficult. Having this corrected with cosmetic dentistry can help you care better for your oral health.
- Better Bite – Teeth that are out of place, misaligned, misshapen, or crooked can cause difficulties with eating and speaking. Correcting misaligned teeth will allow you to eat solid foods with fewer difficulties, and remove certain speech impediments.
- Prevent Complications – Small dental issues may seem like minor problems, but they can develop into more serious health complications. Having a missing tooth can cause other teeth to occupy the free space, creating problems in alignment and leading to unnecessary wear on other teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry will not only improve your smile, it can prevent future complications. If you think your teeth require some attention, visit your dentist. The earlier a problem is identified and treated, the easier it is to correct.
Cosmo Dental Care provides dentures, teeth whitening, crowns, and braces. Call us at (519) 659-2767 to book an appointment for cosmetic dentistry in London, Ontario.