Holiday season treats (like a gooey brownie or caramel candy) can be hard to resist. Luckily for sugar lovers, we can enjoy some favourite treats and avoid cavities:
1. Drink Water – Avoid sugar-enticed bacteria and acid that corrodes tooth enamel. Drink a glass of water (and/or “swish” water after every bite) to rinse sugar and dilute acid.
2. Limit Treat Consumption – Try to consume cookies, alcoholic beverages, egg nog and other special holiday goodies in moderation.
3. Carry a Portable Toothbrush – If you’re travelling long distances or merely attending a friend’s party for several hours one night carry a toothbrush. This will allow you to remove unsightly green gobs stuck in your teeth and properly clean teeth if you need to “crash” on the sofa or in the guest room.
4. Use a Mouthwash – Mouthwash cleans the mouth, freshens breath, and kills bacteria that causes cavities. While mouthwash cannot substitute for brushing, it makes a big difference for oral and overall health.
5. Choose Sweets Wisely – Hard and chewy candies can get stuck and cause fractures or cracks. Instead, choose dark chocolate to satisfy a sweet tooth. It’s less damaging to teeth (so long as you rinse later and do a proper cleaning before bed).
Don’t give up your favourite treats during the holidays; learn how to protect your teeth and gums by seeing a great dentist. Call Cosmo Dental Centre at (519) 659-2767 to make an appointment.