After the indulgences of the holiday season, we might suffer stained teeth, unpleasant breath, or painful stuck food. To avoid such unpleasantries in the New Year, let’s take some tips to keep teeth looking good from December and beyond:
1. Dental Hygiene – Sugary and acidic foods and drinks can harm teeth and oral health. No matter what you consume:
-Brush teeth twice a day (2-3 minutes)
-Floss (at least once a day)
-Rinse with mouthwash to kill bacteria
2. Straws – When drinking alcohol or soda, use a straw to prevent acid from directly touching teeth, weakening enamel.
3. Use Tools to Open Packages – Cracked or chipped teeth are often the result of unwise present-opening tactics. Use a paper cutter, scissors, or hands to unwrap gifts.
4. Nail Biting – Nail biting, unfortunately, does not relieve stress; it can damage both fingernails and teeth. Apply foul-tasting nail polish or try to develop more “positive” habits to avoid chewing on nails and cuticles.
5. Healthy Snacks – Choose wisely as you consume during the holiday season, and clean teeth afterward. Here are some less-destructive options:
After the merriment of December has passed, schedule your twice-yearly cleaning (if you haven’t done so already. Cosmo Dental Centre cares for the whole family. Call (519) 659-2767 to learn more about our services.